Licensed General Contractor - Commercial & Residential
What is Preconstruction?
Preconstruction is traditionally defining the project scope, schedule and cost as early as possible with the most efficient use of resources and money. Dow Preconstruction services efforts ultimately help the owner determine if the project is even viable or not. If viable, Preconstruction defines the scope of work enough to determine a firm budget and schedule for the project. Some of the important elements addressed in Dow Preconstruction services:
- Project scope
- Execution plan
- Preliminary constructability review
- Initial baseline schedule
- Basis of design
- Procurement plan
- Execution plan
- Site plan and site evaluation
What are the primary benefits to the owner?
Dow’s Preconstruction process is the basis for the owner’s capital project appropriation process. The owner has a defined basis to make an informed decision. Dow Preconstruction process takes out many of the unknowns of a project and reduces risks for the owner. We can also identify areas for potential cost savings.
What are the costs of Preconstruction Services?
The cost of Preconstruction services is typically 1% - 3% of the project cost, depending on the complexity and amount of work needed to meet the objectives of the Preconstruction effort.
What are some examples of issues that can be resolved during the Preconstruction process?
- Value engineering options and building material analysis
- Cost savings options and constructability reviews
- Evaluation of soil conditions
- Identify permitting requirements
- At conceptual stage, some preliminary form has been contemplated for the building, including number of floors, total gross area, potential site, etc. and hand sketches may be available to clarify the design intent.
- A comprehensive listing of all needs and spaces for the building
- Although an owner can theoretically be offered a Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) at any point in the design process, the desire to minimize allowances, contingencies and changes will usually dictate that the GMP be established based up Design Development or later construction documents.
Please contact Dow, Inc. regarding information about Preconstruction Services and actual project histories that may parallel your current project elements and project scope.